The University of Pretoria has an established reputation for academic excellence, focusing mainly on research activities.
- The University of Pretoria, a research intensive university, is targeting potential doctoral students who will make a significant contribution to its research endeavours.
- The University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to students who fulfill the eligibility criteria.
- University of Pretoria
Field(s) of Study
- Doctoral Programs
What does the scholarship cover?
The value of this scholarship is R170000, awarded annually, to cover the following costs.
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation and living costs
- Medical aid
- Books and stationery
- Research costs are covered by the Supervisor
- The University covers the following costs:
- Flight ticket to South Africa from one’s home country (with proof of study permit)
- A return flight ticket to one’s home country at the end of the study program
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo Airport on completion.
- UP application fee and Visa costs (refunded subject to proof of receipts on arrival at the university)
How many scholarships are given?
- Two scholarships
Which countries are targeted?
- Students from Commonwealth countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of a commonwealth country
- Be planning to undertake studies at the University of Pretoria beginning in 2022
- Have completed a degree that will give you admission to a doctoral program not more than 2 years before you apply for the Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship
- Be not older than 35 at the time of application
- Not be currently registered at UP in a PhD or Master program
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
- Fill the application form for the UP PhD Commonwealth Scholarship
- Attach the following documents to your application form:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) – not more than 3 pages long
- A copy of your passport
- Academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained
- The UP Online application Ref “T” number, or the 2022 student number provided to you by the University
- A written motivation from your prospective Doctoral supervisor
- An outline, one A4 page long, of your proposed research work
- Proof that you will get study leave if you get the scholarship (if applicable)
- 2 completed references from two different supervisors or academics who have current knowledge of your academic performance
NOTE: All the above documents, apart from the reference forms, should be sent as a single PDF document.
- Leadership qualities
- Academic performance
- Potential to carry out advanced research activities
- Evidence of research accomplishments at master’s level
- Honors and prizes received
- Successful applicants will receive an official award letter via email by the end of November 2021.
- 27th August 2021
How do I get more information?
- Website: UP PHD Commonwealth Scholarship