Scholarships information for International Students wishing to study at South African Universities
Are you an international student looking for study opportunities in South Africa? Check out this list below of the top 7 scholarships for international students at South African Universities!
- The University of Cape Town (UCT) offers a limited number of international and refugee scholarships annually. These scholarships are awarded to deserving students on a competitive basis and are available for study in any discipline.
- Honors students receive R25000, Master’s students R30000 and Doctoral students R35000.
- Students who are interested in applying for refugee scholarships must show proof of refugee status.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), in collaboration with the Research for Development Division (DRD) of the African Centre of Excellence at the University of the Western Cape, welcomes applicants from Sub-Saharan countries to apply for scholarships to help continue their studies. These applicants should have excellent academic records.
- Benefits of the scholarship include monthly allowances and travel allowances,
- This scholarship is undertaken at the School of Government at the University of Western Cape, South African, and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany.
- This scholarship is one of the top 7 scholarships for international students at South African universities. It targets Doctoral students who have already applied to pursue their studies at the University of Pretoria.
- The PhD Commonwealth Scholarship targets citizens of Commonwealth countries and is valued at R170,000 per annum.
- The Thekgo Bursaries target students whose degree records and/or certificates are withheld due to outstanding financial obligations towards the universities. The bursaries were set up to assist students who have completed their studies but are unable to graduate.
- These bursaries, worth R6000 (for 2 eligible students), are open to nationals from African countries who hold refugee status.
- The African Leadership Academy (ALA) provides opportunities for passionate young leaders who have excelled in previous high school studies to pursue a 2-year pre-university program at the institution.
- Every student who gets admission to ALA is eligible for financial assistance in form of loans and scholarships. This financial aid is given to all students regardless of nationality and financial status.
- The MasterCard Foundation, in partnership with the University of Pretoria (UP), offers scholarships to high-achieving African students who intend to pursue postgraduate studies at the university.
- Recipients of this comprehensive scholarship must be academically talented students who are unable to pay for their education at UP.
- This scholarship targets African students from outside the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
- The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is another of the top 7 scholarships for international students at South African universities. It offers comprehensive funding that includes tuition for a one-year honors degree or a two-year master’s degree at a South African higher education institution.
- The scholarship covers tuition, a study material allowance, research costs, medical aid, a personal allowance, meals, accommodation, and economy class travel.
Now that you have looked at the top 7 scholarships for international students at South African universities, here are a few undergraduate scholarships you may be interested in.
- The MIT Scholarship targets talented students who qualify for a course at the university but are not able to take up studies due to financial need.
- Admission to this university is need-blind. Note, also, that scholarships are given based on demonstrated financial need.
- The Monash International Merit Scholarships are available for any student who has received an offer to study at the university.
- Recipients at the undergraduate level get $10,000 per year towards their studies.
- This scholarship is given to first-year students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement in previous studies or schools.
- Every student who qualifies for this scholarship gets $25,000 towards tuition.
- The Turkish Government Scholarships target outstanding students who want to study at prestigious universities in Turkey.
- This competitive scholarship covers tuition, accommodation, living expenses, etc.