The Hedley Bull Scholarship from Graduate Studies in International Affairs (GSIA): This program, offered by the School of International, Political and Strategic Studies at the ANU (Australian National University) College of Asia and the Pacific, is one of the best known and well recognized graduate programs in Australia. This program offers four Hedley Bull Scholarships for study in a MA (Master of Arts) in International Relations.
What is the Hedley Bull Scholarship?
- The GSIA program was set up by Professor Hedley Bull forty years ago. Today it is one of the better known graduate programs in Australia with a large number of international students. The focus of the program is on international affairs in the Asia Pacific. The studies focus on understanding and managing the complexity of this rapidly changing part of the world.
More about the ANU
- The ANU has topped the list for Political Science research according to the Evaluation of Research in Australia study in 2010. The only school to score 5.
- The QS World University Ranking 2011 has placed the ANU in the 16th position for research and teaching in Management and Social Sciences.
- The Times Higher Education Supplement’s World University Ranking 2011 has given the ANU the 18th place for research and teaching in Social Sciences.
- The ANU has a student population which is diverse and from over 70 countries. The courses have attracted students from a number of professions including diplomats, military officers, journalists, politicians, business people, public servants and researchers.
- The ANU has remarkable resources, both in scholars and material on the Asia Pacific region which ranges from Afghanistan to the Pacific.
- The faculty at the ANU has also won a number of awards recognizing their teaching excellence.
What does the Hedley Bull Scholarship give you?
- The Hedley Bull Scholarship will give you a complete waiver on fees for three full-time semesters. This accounts for 24 unit thesis periods and 48 units of coursework in graduate studies.
Who can apply?
- Students wishing to apply for the Master in International Affairs or a Master of Arts in International Relations must have Distinction in a Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate or Honors Program. They should have graduated in any of the social science disciplines; however, students with exceptional qualifications can also apply.
When to apply?
- Last date for receipt of the completed scholarship application for the Master of Arts in International Relations (course commencing in February 2013) is 31 October 2012
How to apply?
- Students who wish to try for the Hedley Bull Scholarship should send in a letter stating their interest in the Scholarship and also make a case why it should be awarded to them, while applying for the Master of Arts in International Relations.
- The application for MA in International Relations, along with the covering letter should include the student’s transcript and references from three academics.
- Please note that a separate application for the scholarship is not required.
- Students from Australia must apply through the Universities Admissions Center. International students can apply directly to ANU Apply Online. You will have to attach scanned copies of the academic transcripts, proficiency in English language test scores and at least one academic referral who can be contacted via email.
Graduate Studies in International Affairs
Department of International Relations
School of International, Political & Strategic Studies
Hedley Bull Centre, Building 130
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
fax +61 2 6125 7693
phone +61 2 6125 3793
For more information visit – http://ips.cap.anu.edu.au/ir/gsia/scholarships/