- The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by the Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to international students studying or applying for study in Beijing.
- The International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education serves as the administrative office, overseeing project establishment, review, acceptance, and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program.
- International students applying for Beijing Government Scholarships normally submit relevant materials to the universities in Beijing that they hope to apply to by the end of February every year.
- Institutions of higher education in Beijing and surrounding regions.
Field(s) of Study
- Any specialties from the Chinese institutions of higher education in the Beijing region.
What does the scholarship cover?
This scholarship covers tuition fees only as follows:
- Doctoral student scholarship – 40,000 RMB per person, per year
- Master student scholarship – 30,000 RMB per year
- Undergraduate student scholarship – 20,000 RMB per year
- Senior scholarship and long-term language student scholarship – 10,000 RMB per year
- Scholarships for exchange students (long-term credit transferrable students) and students who make a special contribution to international exchange and cooperation in the capital area – 5,000 RMB per year
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- International students
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship you must:
- Be a non-Chinese citizen and in good health
- Have a senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 30 if applying for an undergraduate program
- Have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35 if applying for a master’s program
- Have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40 if applying for a doctoral program
- Have a senior high school diploma and be under the age of 60 if applying for long-term language studies
- Have a bachelor’s degree or have completed at least two years of undergraduate study, and be under the age of 50 if applying for the general scholar program
- Have a master’s degree or hold an academic title of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50 if applying for the senior scholarship program
- Meet the language requirements set by the higher education institutions
- Not be previous or simultaneous awardees of Chinese Government Scholarships
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- All applicants should consult the dispatching authorities such as relevant government departments, Chinese embassies, or consulates about application details.
- Applicants should then submit their application documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country.
- The applicants can also visit the website of the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education indicated below to register and receive application details.
- Applicants can also apply to the higher education institutions that are eligible to enroll scholarship students and submit their documents directly.
- The Application Form for Beijing Government Scholarship (Applicants shall obtain the form from the Higher Education Institutions or download the form from the website of the targeted HEIs).
- Notarized highest diploma and transcripts.
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (if the duration of study is six months or above).
- A study plan (no less than 400 words) or research plan (no less than 800 words) in Chinese or English for degree or research students.
- Applicants for music and art are requested to submit the applicants’ own works according to the requirements of the target HEIs.
- Legal documents of legal guardians in China for applicants under 18.
- Application documents will not be returned.
- End of February 2022
How do I get more information?
- Website: Beijing Government Scholarships