- This prestigious scholarship program targets exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe.
- The University of Amsterdam (UvA) aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its classrooms.
- Outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA are invited to apply for the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES).
- The University of Amsterdam
- This University has its origins in the Athenaeum Illustre (1632) and, has almost 30,000 students, over 5,000 employees and an annual budget of 600 million Euros. It is one of the largest general research universities in Europe.
Field(s) of Study
- Child Development and Education
- Economics and Business
- Social Sciences
What does the scholarship cover?
- Recipients of the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship receive a full scholarship of €25,000 that covers tuition and living expenses for the entire academic year.
How many scholarships are given?
- 15 scholarships were given in the year 2017 – 2018
Which countries are targeted?
- Outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Not have EU/EEA or Swiss nationality
- Not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Not be eligible to pay the reduced tuition fee for EEA students at UvA
- Not have received a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
- Have received admission or will be admitted for the first time at UvA
- Have submitted a complete application for a Dual Master’s or Research Master’s that does not require interviews for its selection process, or an MSc.
- Be in a position to comply with the conditions for obtaining a Dutch visa (if applicable)
- Be enrolled at UvA as full-time scholar for the academic year and program for which the scholarship is to be awarded
- Have completed your previous academic program no longer than three years ago
- Never have studied at any educational institution in the Netherlands
- Have a minimum GPA comparable to Cum Laude (Dutch system), a first-class honors (UK) or 3.7 (USA)
- Be a motivated student who excels in extracurricular activities
- Have exceptional English language skills, with proof from test results that are a maximum of 2 years old. You must have either TOEFL (score- 100), IELTS (7), CAE Grade A or CPE Grade C.
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- Application for the AES is part of the application process for the Master’s program that you choose.
- On the Master’s application form, you will see an option ‘apply for a scholarship’, where you tick the box if you want to apply for a scholarship.
- Use the required scholarship application format found on the website. You will upload this application under the section ‘Scholarship Application’.
- Academic records: Transcripts (and a diploma is you have already finished your degree), including your GPA
- A letter of recommendation by a teacher, dean or academic supervisor in which he or she confirms that you belong to the top 10% of your class or year
- A letter of motivation (a maximum of 500 words) in which you explain the reasons for choosing your Master’s program. Also, you may include a paragraph stating why you would like to be nominated for the scholarship
- A current Curriculum Vitae that includes a description of all extracurricular activities you have engaged in. These may include international experience, student committees, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work
- Proof of English proficiency (test results)
- All applications should be submitted to the admin offices of the respective Graduate schools.
- Be sure to check specific application instructions and deadlines, eligibility criteria and selection criteria at the Faculty or Graduate School websites.
- For the School of Science, the deadline is course dependent. The scholarship application is due at the same time as that of the study program.
- For the School of Humanities, the deadline is 15 January 2019
How do I get more information?
- Website: http://www.uva.nl/en/education/master-s/scholarships–tuition/scholarships-and-loans/amsterdam-excellence-scholarship/amsterdam-excellence-scholarship.html
- Free Scholarships – http://www.freeundergraduatescholarships.info/
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://myinternationalscholarships.com/forum