- The Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) provides an internationally competitive graduate fellowship to individuals who wish to pursue research in scientific, technological, and entrepreneurial fields.
- The host school for this fellowship is Skoltech, a private graduate research university in Skolkovo, Russia, a suburb of Moscow.
- Established in 2011 in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Skoltech aims to e
- ducate the next generations of researchers and entrepreneurs; a
- dvance scientific knowledge; and, f
- oster technological innovation to address critical issues facing Russia and the world in the new century.
- Applying international research and educational models, the university integrates the best Russian scientific traditions with twenty-first century entrepreneurship and innovation.
Fields of Study
- Currently, Skoltech has five inter-disciplinary two-year M.Sc. programs, namely:
- Information Science and Technology (full program)
- Energy Science and Technology (full program)
- Biomedical Science and Technology (full program)
- Space Science and Technology (pilot program for Russian citizens only in 2014-2015, full program from 2015 onwards)
- Nuclear Science and Technology (pilot program for Russian citizens only in 2014-2015, full program from 2015 onwards)
What does the scholarship cover?
- For every admitted M.Sc. student, Skoltech will provide an internationally competitive fellowship, including a tuition waiver, subsidized housing, an assistantship, and medical insurance.
How many scholarships are given?
- This is a highly competitive fellowship program, however the number of scholarships awarded each academic year has yet to be confirmed.
Which countries are targeted?
- All countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To be eligible to the fellowship, interested students must meet the following criteria:
- An undergraduate degree in engineering, mathematics, applied sciences, physics, chemistry, biology, or related fields
- Outstanding academic record at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated English proficiency given that the language used in Skoltech is English
- A score of 79 on the TOEFL iBT or 6.5 on the IELTS is desired
- TOEFL or IELTS score is not required if applicant is a native speaker of English or received a degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand
- Admission to Skoltech is merit based
- Note that students with undergraduate degrees in the humanities or social sciences may apply, but they should have significant training in a field relevant to one of Skoltech’s five programs.
How to Apply – Next Steps
- To be considered for admission, applicants must register on this site and fill out the online application. Note that applying to Skoltech M.Sc. Fellowships is free of charge.
- The application consists of the following:
- Online Application Form: Biographical and Demographic Information, Prior Education & Experience
- Personal Statement: In one-two pages, you will be asked to respond to a question or questions. Login to the online application to see this year’s suggested topic.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: Students should seek out recommendations from former or current professors, supervisors, etc. The online application has an automated system by which applicants request the letters by email.
- TOEFL or IELTS results: Skoltech’s institution code for iBT TOEFL is 2909.
- Transcripts/Diplomas from universities attended: Copies of transcripts from each prior university should be uploaded in the original language, as well as in English translation.
- Optional Information: GRE results; digitial portfolio; video file; audio file. Skoltech’s institution code for the GRE is 1294.
- The online application is due at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, 20 January, 2014 (Moscow time). Skoltech will notify applications about whether they will be invited for further stages of the application process (Skype interview; Selection Weekends) by 31 January 2014.
How do I get more information?
- For questions on application procedures, please email the Skoltech Office of Student Affairs with business address at:
Director of Student Affairs
+7 (916) 364-9742
+7 (495) 280-1841, extension 3203
- Check out their social networking sites:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Skoltech (English)
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/Skoltech (English), www.twitter.com/Skoltech_ru (Russian)
- VKontakte: www.vk.com/Skoltech (Russian)