2011/2012 ADMISSION INFORMATION
Greetings – Here’s a posting for the most confusing scholarship I know of. I have looked for information and a guide to help you but it just can’t be found. Most of the information on their website is dated. So what I’ve listed below is just the best I can figure out for you – NO guarantees at all that it is correct.
However, if you have the time to walk slowly through this process, I can figure this out, want to learn Chinese (which takes extra years) then this could be the option for you. Check out the forum link at the bottom for an excellent discussion and information on the scholarship.
Chinese Government Scholarship scheme is established by the Ministry of Education of P.R. China (hereinafter referred to as MOE) in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between Chinese government and governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions and relevant international organizations to provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. MOE entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to manage the recruitment and carry out the routine management of Chinese Government Scholarship Programs.
- The application period for the Chinese Government Scholarship is from 17 January to 28 February 2011. For some countries deadline may be extended to April 30th. Application materials received after the deadline will not be processed.
Application Procedures – CSC Online Application System for Study in China
- Applicants should first log on the http://laihua.csc.edu.cn to fill in and submit the application form online.
The instructions for Students’ Online Application for studying in China under the Chinese Government Scholarship are as follows:
Step 1: Log on http://laihua.csc.edu.cn.
- The applicants should register for username and password before logging.
Step 2: After logging on the system, please read the “ONLINE APPLICATION GUIDANCE” and follow the steps.
Step 3: Click the button“NEXT”and select the scholarship you want to apply. Please select the Chinese Government Scholarship.
Step 4: Please note that the “AGENCY NO.” is one of the most crucial part of your online application. It is listed in the first blank under the “PERSONAL DATA”. Please make sure that you fill it in correctly otherwise you will not be able to continue your online application.
- This step is very confusing – I don’t know how you get an agency number. I would suggest contacting the Chinese embassy or consulate in your country to get your agency number
AGENCIES NUMBERS I COULD FIND
- Botswana your Agency # is 0721. (which does have 21 full scholarships for 2011-12)
- Canada (from British Columbia) your Agency # is 1242
- Untied States – 8401
- Columbia – 1701
Step 5: Please fill in the online application form truly, correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left of the page (Use English Only). The applicants are required to select the disciplines before choosing their majors. Any inquiry about the disciplines and majors please refer to the Disciplines Index, which could be downloaded from “Help”.
Step 6: Preview the application form after finishing it and submit it online.
Step 7: Please download the finished application form by licking the button “DOWNLOAD APPLICATION”and print it out for two copies.
I’m not sure if the online page does actually submit the application to the CSC directly, but it does provide you with a pdf of the application form which is completed with the information provided. This still needs to be printed and kept. Again, check with you consulate as to whether you submit these forms to them.
CATEGORIES OF APPLICANTS AND DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
Duration of Program
Duration of Remedial
Chinese Language Courses
1-2 (college preparatory courses)
Chinese language training
Up to 2
Up to 2
Up to 2
1. According to the regulation stipulated by MOE, all undergraduate programs for international students are instructed in Chinese. Applicants with no command of Chinese are generally required to take the college preparatory courses for one to two years before entering university. And only by passing the examinations after the college preparatory courses, could they start their university studies.
2. Part of the Chinese HEIs could conduct part of the postgraduate program and non-degree courses for general and senior scholars in English. Please check Directory of Chinese Higher Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program or visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua.
3. Scholarship students should complete their study within the due time; duration for scholarship specified in the Admission Notice can not be extended in principle
CRITERIA & ELIGIBILITY
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2. Education background and age limit:
- – Applicants for undergraduate program must have senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 25.
- – Applicants for master’s degree program must have bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
- – Applicants for doctoral degree program must have master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- – Applicants for Chinese training program must have senior high school diploma and be under the age of 35, Chinese language is the only subject available.
- – Applicants for general scholar program must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study and be under the age of 45, all subjects besides Chinese language are available.
- – Applicants for senior scholar program must have master’s degree or above, or hold academic titles of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50.
VALUES OF CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS
1. Full Scholarship
- – Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, and fee for basic learning materials; free accommodation on campus;
- – Living allowance;
- – One-off settlement subsidy after registration;
- – Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
- – One-off inter-city travel subsidy.
1) Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship beyond the institution’s arrangements should be self-afforded.
2) Fee for basic learning materials only covers the necessary learning materials prescribed by the host institution, and other textbooks and materials shall be self-afforded.
3) Monthly allowance is granted to the students through the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- – Undergraduates & Chinese language students: CNY 1,400 Yuan
- – Master’s degree students & general scholars: CNY 1,700 Yuan
- – Doctoral degree students & senior scholars: CNY 2,000 Yuan
Scholarship students shall receive their monthly living allowance after registration. New students who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the full amount of living allowance of that month, and those who register after 15th will get half amount of that month. Students upon graduation will get a living allowance for another 15 days after the graduation date set by the university. The allowance will be terminated from the next month after students suspend their studies, drop school or complete schooling from the university. Monthly living allowance covers school holidays. Scholarship students who missed the monthly living allowance during holidays could be reimbursed upon their return on campus. The allowance will be suspended for one month for those students who do not register on time without permission from the university, leave for non-health reasons or are absent from university over a month. Students who have to suspend their studies for health reasons are required to go back to their home countries for treatment. The international travel expenses should be covered by the students themselves. With the university’s approval, the scholarship status can be reserved for up to one year and their living allowances will be suspended during their leave. The scholarship status will not be reserved for those who suspend their studies for other reasons.
4) New students will get a one-off settlement subsidy upon their arrival in China.
- – CNY 1,000 Yuan for new students who will study in China up to one academic year
- – CNY 1,500 Yuan for new students who will study in China above one academic year
5) Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense in the institution’s hospital or the hospitals entrusted by the institution. The students are required to share a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution’s regulations.
6) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship students in China in case of hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries. The institutions or the entrusted medical assistance agencies provide advancement service for insurance expenses, and claim for compensation with relevant payment receipts from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. For scholarship student, the individual claim will not be accepted by the insurance company.
7) One-off inter-city travel ticket (each for coming-in and leaving China)
A hard-seat train ticket (hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip) will be provided for new scholarship students traveling from the port of entry upon registration to the city where the admitting institution or institution of Chinese language training or college preparatory courses is located; for students traveling from the Chinese language training institution or preparatory education institution to the city where the university for major study is located; and for students traveling from the city where the institution is located to the nearest port for departure upon graduation. Meal and excess of baggage should be self-afforded.
2. Partial Scholarship
- One or several items of full scholarship (one-off settlement subsidy and one-off inter-city travel allowance excluded).
CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
The applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely (in duplicates).
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship ?filled in Chinese or English?
Those who are available for online application shall fill in and print the application form after submitting it online.
The CSC Online Application System for Study in China is available on http://laihua.csc.edu.cn
Those who cannot apply online shall contact the dispatching authorities to get the application form and fill it truly, correctly and completely.
2. Highest diploma (notarized photocopy): University students or applicants employed shall also provide proof of studying or employment on application. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
3. Academic transcripts (notarized photocopy): Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
4. A study or research plan. All applicants are required to submit a study or research plan. It must be in Chinese or in English.
5. Recommendation letters: Applicants for postgraduate studies, or study in China as senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors. Applicants who apply in China shall submit the Admission Notice or Invitation Letter issued by the targeted university.
6. Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of the applicants’ own works. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit a CD of the applicants’ own works (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works).
7. Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (The original copy should be kept by the applicant. The form printed by Chinese quarantine authority could be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn). The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take medical examination due to the 6-months validity of the medical results.
- The above documents should be forwarded to CSC by April 30th, 2010 via either the Chinese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s home country or the embassy of the applicant’s home country in China. Individual applications are not accepted by CSC. Application documents will not be returned.
SELECTION OF INSTITUTIONS AND SPECIALTIES
- Applicants can choose one academic program and three institutions as their preferences from the Chinese HEIs designated by MOE. Please check the Directory of Chinese Higher Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program. Only the listed Chinese HEIs in the Directory are available to the applicants for their study in China.
For More Information
- Scholarship Home Page – http://en.csc.edu.cn
- Online Application Form – http://laihua.csc.edu.cn
- Forum Discussion – http://www.chinese-forums.com – If you are serious about applying go to this forum – Great information and very helpful – you will get all the info you need
OTHER Scholarship OPPORTUNITIES
TOP 10 Undergraduate International Undergraduate Scholarships
- We’ve examined scholarship opportunities from 100’s of schools and only these make our TOP 10 list.