Through collaboration with partner organizations in 49 countries, The MasterCard Foundation is creating opportunities for all people to learn and prosper. The Foundation’s programs promote financial inclusion and advance youth learning, mostly in Africa. Established in 2006 through the generosity of MasterCard Worldwide – when it became a public company – the Foundation is a separate and independent entity. The policies, operations, and funding decisions of the Foundation are determined by its own board of directors, President and CEO.
Holistic program design
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program identifies bright young people who have demonstrated a commitment to making a difference in their communities, yet face significant barriers to accessing and completing quality education. The Program is uniquely designed to provide these Scholars with holistic support, including the following
- Comprehensive scholarships
- Academic curricula relevant to growth sectors in the Scholars’ home countries
- Mentoring and counseling, including academic and social support
- Service and experiential learning (volunteerism, internships and social entrepreneurship)
- Career counseling and connections to jobs in the Scholars’ home countries
- UP is a leading research-intensive university in Africa.
- More than 60 000 currently registered students from Africa and further afield enroll at UP each year.
- The University has nine faculties, including the Faculty of Veterinary Science on the Onderstepoort Campus, which is the only one of its kind in South Africa.
The Hatfield Campus houses the following six faculties:
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Field(s) of Study
The MasterCard Foundation offers a full scholarship to students who have applied for and been admitted to one of the following undergraduate programmes at the University of Pretoria:
Faculty of Engineering
- BEng (Industrial Engineering)
- BEng (Chemical Engineering)
- BEng (Civil Engineering)
- BEng (Electrical Engineering)
- BEng (Electronic Engineering)
- BEng (Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering)
- BEng (Metallurgical Engineering)
- BEng (Mining Engineering)
- BEng (Computer Engineering)
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- BCom (Accounting Science)
- BCom (Financial Science)
- BCom (Economics)
- BCom (Informatics)
- BCom (Agribusiness Management)
Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- BScAgric (Food Science and Technology)
- BScAgric (Agricultural Economics/Agribusiness Management)
- BScAgric (Animal Science)
- BScAgric (Plant Pathology)
- BScAgric (Applied Plant and Soil Sciences)
If your application is successful, the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid (Ingwe only)
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Visa costs for international students
- In 2014, the University of Pretoria partnered with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide bursaries to 347 students over the following ten years. Two thirds of these bursaries are for postgraduate study with one third being for undergraduate study.
- economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa.
- The Program targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa, who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. Community service is a necessary component of the Program with all students giving back to the community from which they come.
Language policy and medium of instruction
- In conducting its business, the University uses two official languages, namely English and Afrikaans. In formal education, the medium of instruction is either English or Afrikaans, or both of these languages, provided that there is a demand and that it is academically and economically justifiable. However, it remains the students’ responsibility to ascertain, on an annual basis, in which language a module and any further level of that module is presented. In respect of administrative and other services, a student has the right to choose whether the University should communicate with him or her in English or Afrikaans. Where the University has the capacity, Sepedi is used as an additional language of communication.
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Pretoria, you MUST have been admitted to UP and arrange to have the required supporting material sent to the University. You will need your student number to complete The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program application form.
- Be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian, or foster parents can afford to pay. Examples of this documentation include bank statements, payslips and loan documents.
- Only students admitted to full-time study programs at the
- University of Pretoria will be considered for this Program.
- The Program only applies to students who cannot afford to pay the full fees. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full fees.
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of information on this application may result in your admission to the University being withdrawn.
- Please note that the Program is for first-time applicants as first- year students and first-year postgraduate student
Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the application process.
- Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form.
- For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 3111 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
- Once you have been admitted, please contact email@example.com to commence the process to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program immediately.
- Applications for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program open on 1 May 2015 and close on 15 September 2015.
How do I get more information?
- Free Scholarships – http://www.
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://