- Thank you for your interest in The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The call for applications for studies commencing in 2016 is now open. The call is only open to first time entering undergraduate and Honours applicants. Applicants must be accepted for a course of study at UCT before submitting an application for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship. .
- Study at the University of Cape Town
Field(s) of Study
- UCT offers a full range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in six faculties: Commerce, Engineering and the Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law and Science. Each Faculty publishes an undergraduate and postgraduate handbook, which provides details of all the degrees and programmes on offer.
- The vision of the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is to create positive social and economic transformation through education.
- It aims to educate and develop the next generation leaders who will contribute to the social and economic progress of Africa.
Young people from disadvantaged communities in Sub-Saharan Africa will be empowered to complete quality secondary and tertiary education and make successful transitions to further education or to the workforce in their home countries.
- Through comprehensive support it aims to provide Scholars with learning opportunities that equip them with knowledge, skills and values needed to succeed in the economy and make positive impacts in their communities.
Which countries are targeted?
Am I Eligible to Apply?
In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to study in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours, or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
- Applications to UCT can be done online. Click here
- Applications for the scholarship close on 30 September.
- Free Scholarships – http://www.
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://