- The Sasakawa International Scholarship (SIS) Fund provides financial assistance to qualified, deserving, deaf international students who are enrolled in at least their second year of a degree-granting program at Gallaudet University to help ensure they have the financial means to complete their degree and graduate.
- Study in
Field(s) of Study
What does the scholarship cover?
How many scholarships are given?
Which countries are targeted?
- Preference will be given to students who are residents of developing countries.
How do I Apply – Next Steps
Deadline for receipt of all material is April 30, 2015
- Website – CLICK HERE
- Free Scholarships – http://www.
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://
PURPOSE OF SCHOLARSHIP
- The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to deserving deaf international students who are enrolled in degree granting programs at the university. Preference will be given to students who are residents of developing countries where the Nippon Foundation has active projects aimed at improving the lives of people, including deaf people, at home and possibly around the world. Recipients of this scholarship must have a demonstrated commitment towards returning home upon graduation.
All applicants must:
- Be Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing.
- Be from a developing country, preferably one with a Nippon Foundation Project
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be a current Gallaudet student or if selected as a scholar, apply and be admitted to Gallaudet.
- Demonstrate high academic achievement.
- Submit letters of recommendation from:
- A person in their country who is familiar with their work in the deaf community or a project supported by the Nippon Foundation; and
- One school official from home or at Gallaudet who is familiar with their academic ability or performance.
ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP AMOUNT
- Based on financial need as determined by the relevant document (e.g. Certificate of Finance)
- Contingent upon annual financial aid assessment, may be renewable up to 5 years.
- Cost of Gallaudet health insurance.
CONDITION FOR SCHOLARSHIP RENEWAL
- Maintain a 2.8 GPA during the first year, 3.0 thereafter.
- Maintain J-1 legal status for studying in the USA and returning home upon completion of their studies.
- Remain in good disciplinary standing at the University.
- Participation in projects sponsored by the Nippon Foundation or the Center for International Programs and Services (CIPS) in the College of Professional Studies and Outreach (CPSO).
- Submit project and academic progress reports (GPA) each semester to the Director of CIPS.