- For decades, the Mexican cultural diplomacy has worked in different successful programs, such as the human capital training through scholarships for academic degrees awarding and research work performing in different areas of knowledge.
- The Directorate-General for Educational and Cultural Cooperation, through the Academic Exchange Department, designs and manages the Ministry of Foreign Affairs´ Scholarship Program for Foreigners. The scholarships of the Mexican Government present two programs: the scholarship for academic studies and the scholarship for special programs.
- The scholarships for academic studies are offered to take complete programs for Specialization, Master´s or PhD Degrees, and Postgraduate Researches.
- Likewise, the offer includes academic mobility for Bachelor´s and Postgraduate Degree. On the other hand, the scholarships for special programs are offered to take short-term fellowships addressed to Visiting Professors, Researchers in Mexico´s issues, Media Contributors, Art Production Fellowships, etc.
- Study at 71 different Mexican Universities
Field(s) of Study
- List of institutions and programs
What does the scholarship cover?
- Monthly stipend of 4 times the minimum salary in Mexico City for undergraduate mobility scholarships, specializations, master’s degrees or master’s-level research, Spanish language or Mexican culture courses, currently the equivalent of $8,412.00 pesos (approximately US $546.234).
- Monthly stipend of 5 times the minimum salary in Mexico City for doctoral studies and research, postdoctoral fellowships and medical specializations and subspecializations, currently the equivalent of $10,515.00 pesos (approximately US $681.90)
- Registration fees and tuition, as established by the program at each institution (see the academic programs offered by the participating IES).
- Health insurance from the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS), starting in the third month of the scholarship (the scholarship recipient must have health insurance that covers both major and minor medical expenses and provides international coverage for the first three months in Mexico).
- Round-trip international airfare at the beginning and end of the scholarship.5
- Transportation from Mexico City to the host institution and back at the start and end of the scholarship, if studying outside of Mexico City.
How many scholarships are given?
Program Maximum duration of scholarship
- Undergraduate and graduate academic mobility programs One academic term (quarter, trimester or semester)
- Graduate – research and postdoctoral fellowships 12 months (1 month minimum)
- Specialization 1 year
- Master’s degree 2 years
- Doctorate 3 years
- Medical specialties and sub-specialties 3 years
Which countries are targeted?
- Check here for full list – http://amexcid.gob.mx/images/stories/becas/2015-Extranjeros/general/english/apamo-2016.pdf
- If Spanish is not the applicant’s native language, certificate for an advanced level of proficiency in Spanish. issued by a university or language center for its accreditation. It is suggested to present the exam in the Centro de Ensefianza para Extranjeros (CEPE) of the Universidad Nacional Aut6noma de Mexico (UNAM), Tel. +52 (762) 622-3410, Fax +52 (762) 622-0124, www.cepe.unam.mx
Am I Eligible to Apply?
Requirements for all candidates:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. degree, as required by the program for which the scholarship is requested.
- Minimum grade point average of eight (8.0) on a scale of 0 to 10, or the equivalent, for the last academic degree received.
- Be accepted to or currently enrolled in a program at one of the participating Mexican institutions.
Preference will be given to candidates that:
- Select a program on an issue important to the development of their country.
- Apply for graduate programs not available in their country.
- Study or do research at institutions located outside of the Mexico City metropolitan area.
- Hold faculty or research positions at public universities and scientific research centers in their country.
- Are public officials in charge of areas or programs of special interest for their country.
How to I Apply – Next Steps
- The entire application process for scholarships must be done at the Mexican embassy or concurrent embassy for the applicant’s country.
- NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED DIRECTLY FROM THE APPLICANTS
- Applications for the scholarship will be accepted from April 15 to August 31.
How do I get more information?
- Website: http://amexcid.gob.mx/index.php/oferta-de-becas-para-extranjeros
- PDF Information Form – http://amexcid.gob.mx/images/stories/becas/2015-Extranjeros/general/english/general-terms-and-conditions-2.pdf
- Monash University – Learn about the Full Tuition International Leadership Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/monash-university/
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/undergraduate/
- Free Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.freeundergraduatescholarships.info/