- The Government of Mauritius offers undergraduate level scholarships to African students.
- This scholarship initiative is part of the government’s commitment to promoting capacity building at various levels across the African continent. The Government of Mauritius strongly believes that the acquisition of higher education is a key element for economic growth and social development.
- These scholarships apply to full-time, on-campus undergraduate studies at public tertiary education institutions in Mauritius.
Public tertiary education institutions as listed below:
- University of Mauritius
- Université des Mascareignes
- University of Technology, Mauritius
- Fashion and Design Institute
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute
- Mauritius Institute of Education
- Rabindranath Tagore Institute
Fields of Study
- Any of the courses offered by the institutions listed above.
- The course chosen must be a full-time, on-campus course lasting a maximum of four years.
What does the scholarship cover?
Recipients of this scholarship are entitled to:
- Tuition fees: Up to 100,000 Mauritian Rupees (MUR) per annum for beneficiaries from SADC countries, or up to MUR 160,000 per annum for those from non-SADC countries. This amount is paid directly to the university, to meet course-related costs and tuition fees.
- Living allowance: MUR 8,300 is credited quarterly to the recipient’s bank account in Mauritius. The recipient is required to supplement this amount in order to cover his or her living costs.
- International student air travel: An economy class fare for the most economical route from one’s country of citizenship to Mauritius is provided. This airfare covers the trip to Mauritius at the beginning of the study program and the trip back at the end of the course.
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- Resident citizens of member states of Commonwealth in Africa, or African Union
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be above 18 years of age and not have reached your 26th birthday by the application deadline
- Have applied for and obtained a seat for a full-time on-campus program of study at a public tertiary education institution in Mauritius
- Have your application endorsed by the Nominating Agency in your home country, which is normally part of the Ministry of Education.
- Be a resident citizen of a member state of the African Union
- Have completed secondary school, and satisfied the minimum grade requirements as listed below:
- An overall average of 70% or 14/20
- 24 points at GCE A-level
- Criteria equivalent to those listed above
- Should not be a holder of a previous undergraduate degree
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- Download the application from the Ministry’s’ website (indicated below)
- Apply to the Tertiary Educational Institution (TEI) as follows.
- First, apply for a full-time on-campus undergraduate program at a public TEI. Apply as soon as the TEI’s open their application window.
- Second, submit the MASS application form to the Nominating Agency, together with your supporting documents. The deadline for this is usually determined by the agency and communicated to the applicants. The application form should be accompanied by either a conditional offer letter (letter of admission) or an acknowledgment notice from a public TEI in Mauritius.
- Third, attach the following supporting documents (certified copies) to your application during submission to the Nominating Agency.
- Birth certificate
- Educational certificates and academic transcripts at a secondary level
- Medical certificates filled and stamped by a registered medical practitioner
- A copy of your passport biodata page, if available
- April 16, 2018
How do I get more information?
- Website: https://ministry-education.govmu.org
- Free Scholarships – http://www.freeundergraduatescholarships.info/
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://myinternationalscholarships.com/forum