- The Leiden University Excellence Scholarships offers to academically – endowed non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programmes, particularly in the Master of Law, Advanced Programme or MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- Leiden University
- Leiden University has been making a prominent contribution to prosperity, well-being and culture since 1575, in an environment where every individual can develop his or her talents free from any ideological, cultural, religious or other limitations.
Field(s) of Study
- All Master’s degree programmes : MA, MSc and LL.M programmes
What does the scholarship cover?
- The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has 5 awards:
- Platinum – Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs
- Gold – Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee*
- Silver – Covers 75% of the tuition fee
- Bronze – Covers 50% of the tuition fee
- Ivory – Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
- The type of award does not reflect the students’ academic level of excellence.
- The tuition fee will be reduced to the amount of the home fee. Students who have been awarded a Platinum or Gold award still have to pay the home fee themselves.
How many scholarships are given?
- The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department.
Which countries are targeted?
- All non-EU/EEA countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
- Track record of academic excellence. That is, the student applicant must be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad.
- A non-EU/EEA passport holder and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already a Leiden University master’s degree
- Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions (pdf) attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
How to I Apply – Next Steps
- Fill in your online application for admission to Leiden University.
- Upload all necessary documents.
- Indicate clearly your intent to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page.
- Upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page.
- Submit your application online.
- Pay the application fee.
All LExS applicants will be informed by the scholarship department of Student Educational Affairs.
To apply for the scholarship, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on the scholarship page in your online application for the master’s programmes for which you are applying.
- Deadline 1 February 2013 for programmes starting in September 2013
- Deadline 1 April 2013 only for programmes of the Leiden Law School starting in September 2013.
- Deadline 1 October 2013 for programmes starting in February 2014.
How do I get more information?
- Scholarship Information – http://prospectivestudents.leiden.edu/scholarships/scholarship/lexs.html
- Website: Prospective students
- Study Line: +31 (071) 527 1111
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor’s programmes: Studying in Leiden
- Master’s programmes: Master’s in Leiden