- The Gates Cambridge Scholarships were made possible by a US$210 million endowment fund granted by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge in 2000. Since then, it has produced scholars who become leaders and agents of social change, contributing solutions that address global problems.
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded to the best students on the following criteria:
- Intellectual ability;
- Leadership capacity;
- Desire to use their knowledge and talents to contribute to the global society and improve the lives of others; and,
- A good fit between the student’s skills and aspirations and what the host school, the University of Cambridge, is offering in its graduate program.
- The University of Cambridge is one of the oldest and most prestigious educational institutions in the United Kingdom. More than just being an academic center, it has a rich history of producing individuals that embody excellence and exemplary character in their chosen fields.
Field of Study
- All graduate programs available at the University of Cambridge
What does the scholarship cover?
- A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at the University of Cambridge. This includes the University Composition Fee and College fees, which vary for different students. See the University of Cambridge’s Graduate Studies Prospectus for more information.
- Gates Cambridge scholars will also receive a maintenance allowance of £13, 000* for 12 months, pro-rated at the length of time of the student’s chosen graduate program. They will also receive a one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of their chosen course.
* Prevailing exchange rate for 2011-2012
How many scholarships are given?
- With 90 new scholarships awarded each year, the number of scholars continue to increase. Since 2001, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship has produced a total of 1,239 scholars from 96 countries since 2000.
Which countries are targeted?
- A reputable international scholarship program, it gives the best and brightest students from all over the world an opportunity to pursue their graduate studies in the University of Cambridge. It offers full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants living in countries OUTSIDE the United Kingdom from the time they enter their program of choice until they graduate.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
Candidates for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship must meet the following conditions:
- May be citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom
- May apply to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study:
- Ph.D. (three year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree)
- May apply to study any subject available at the University of Cambridge
- Must be admitted to one of the degrees above at Cambridge through the University’s normal admission procedures.
- Must be applying for a new course of study or research if they are already a student at Cambridge, e.g. those who have already started their Ph.D. are not eligible to be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Students who are or have been a Gates Cambridge Scholar may apply for a second scholarship. Such candidates must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
Courses which are not eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- BA (undergraduate)
- BA affiliated (a second BA)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- Courses at Universities other than Cambridge
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- Applicants can apply for the Scholarship via the Graduate Admission Office of the University. Note that all applications must be processed by the University since the Gates Cambridge Trust does not place scholars and process admission. They will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Fully accomplished GRADSAF application form
- Academic transcripts
- 2 academic references prepared for the University of Cambridge
- 1 personal reference prepared for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Depending on the academic department the applicant wishes to apply, the following documents might be required:
- English language test scores if English is not your first language
- A research proposal
- Samples of previous work
- GRE/GMAT score
- On the other hand, applicants who wish to pursue MBA and MFin, applications must be coursed through the Judge Business School via their on-line application system.
Applications to the Scholarship for the October 2014 entry start on 1 September 2013. There are two rounds of the applications, the deadlines of which are as follows:
- Round 1 for US citizens based in the USA: 15 October 2013
- Round 2 for all other eligible candidates: 3 December 2013
How do I get more information?
For more information, interested applicants can go to the following links:
The Old Schools Trinity Ln,
Cambridge CB2 1TN
+44 1223 337733