- The National Department of Social Development is offering scholarships to needy and deserving students in South Africa. Applications are invited from students who are pursuing or interested in enrolling for a Social Work qualification.
- This scholarship program has been implemented since 2007. Through this program, young people are trained in social work, and are thus able to render services in the regions where they are needed most.
- This scholarship provides financial assistance to deserving students, thus enabling them to complete a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Degree.
- South African Universities
What does the scholarship cover?
- Registration Fees
- Tuition fees
- Prescribed books
- On-campus accommodation
- A stipend for practical work experience as determined by the university
What is the target group?
- This scholarship is open to eligible South African students for whom social work is the career of choice.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To apply for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a South African citizen
- Be a Grade 12 learner who meets the admission requirements to study for a BSW degree at a South African University. (Students must first apply for admission at a university of their choice)
- Be a student who is currently studying for a BSW at a South African university. To qualify, you must have passed and be progressing the next level of study as per the requirements of the university.
- Be a student from a disadvantaged community
- Show evidence of financial need based on an assessment of the financial status of your household
- Be a Social Auxiliary worker, child and youth care worker, or assistant community development practitioner in the employment of an NGO, and interested in studying the BSW degree.
- Priority is given to youth aged between 18 and 25
- Students must first apply for admission to the university directly
How do I apply – Next Steps
- Download the application form from the website. This form is also found at the Department of Social Work at various universities and Provincial Departments of Social Development.
- Attach the following documents to your application:
- A certified copy of Grade 12 results for first-year/prospective BSW students
- A certified copy of an academic record for current BSW students, on an official university letterhead
- Certified copies of identity documents
- Certified copies of identity documents and proof of income for parents/ guardians
- Proof of residence not older than three months
- Proof of admission to university, if already admitted
- Applications should be submitted to the respective Provincial Departments of Social Development, where the selection process will take place.
- A selection panel assesses all the applications received in line with the provincial human resource needs and set requirements.
- Only successful applicants will be informed about the outcome of the assessment, in writing
- When the applicant receives the notification, he or she must indicate acceptance of the scholarship in writing
- A reply slip is attached to the notification letter. This reply slip must be returned to the Provincial Department of Social Development within 14 days of receipt of the notification.
- First-year students must attach proof of admission to the acceptance letter
- After the applicant returns the reply slip, arrangements will be named for the signing of the contract.
- A copy of the acceptance letter and the signed scholarship contract will be provided to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). This institution is the Social Work Scholarship funds administrator, and arranges for the payment of fees and allowances as outlined in the contract.
How do I get more information?
- Website: dsd.gov.za
- For National Enquiries, contact:
- a) Ms Vuyelwa Mngadi – (012) 312 7294 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- b) Ms Kefiloe Bosman – (012) 312 7223 / email@example.com
- For provincial enquiries, contact the Provincial Departments of Social Development in Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, Western Cape, Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, North West, and KwaZulu Natal.
- Free Scholarships – http://www.freeundergraduatescholarships.info/
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://internationalscholarships.ca/category/level-of-study/graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://myinternationalscholarships.com/forum