- The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to the international students studying or applying for studying in Beijing. Its administrative office is the International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Educations, which is in charge of project establishment, review, acceptance and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program. The international students applying for the Beijing Government Scholarships shall normally submit relevant materials to the universities in Beijing that he/she hope to apply by the end of February every year.
- Institutions and specialties from the Chinese institutions of higher education in the Beijing region.
Field(s) of Study
- Specialties can be chosen from the Chinese institutions of higher education in the Beijing region.
What does the scholarship cover?
- The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students only covers tuition fees. According to the applicants’ status, the allowance for scholarship students can be classified into 5 types:
- 40,000 RMB/year for a Doctoral degree
- 30,000 RMB/year for a Masters’ degree
- 20,000 RMB/year/ for a Bachelor degree
- 10,000 RMB/year for a Senior training or long term language program
- 5,000 RMB/year for Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing.
How many scholarships are given?
- Not indicated
Which countries are targeted?
- All countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
- Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health.
- Educational background and age limit
- Applicants for undergraduate studies in Beijing must have completed senior high school with good grades and be under the age of 30. Applicants for Masters degree studies in Beijing must have Bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35. Applicants for Doctoral degree studies in Beijing must have Master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for advanced studies must have an undergraduate degree or be in the second year of a university course and be under the age of 50. Applicants for long term language study must have a high school diploma and be under the age of 60.
- Visiting scholar candidates in Beijing must have a Masters or higher degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher, and be under the age of 50.
- Requirement for applicant’s language proficiency- is based on the requirement of the academic programs and determined by the individual higher learning institution.
- An applicant receives financial support from other Chinese government scholarship programs or organizations/agencies would not be eligible for the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students.
How to I Apply – Next Steps
- Applicants submit documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country. (This where I recommend you start -the process appears much to complicated without guidance from your local mission/embassy.)
- Applicants may register via the web with the Beijing Education Commission http://www.bjedu.gov.cn
- Applicants may submit documents to Chinese institutions in Beijing directly.
- All application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February.
Application documents (completed in English or Chinese)
Applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly and correctly.
- Application Form for Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship (can be collected from the institutions in Beijing or downloaded from the school’s website)
- Highest diploma and transcript (notarized photocopy).
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of study in China is six months or greater).
- Applicants for Degree study or specialized research should submit a study plan (no more than 400 words) or a research plan (no more than 800 words).
- Applicants for music and fine arts are requested to submit personal works.
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
- Whether the applicants are admitted or not application documents will not be returned.
- Before end of February
How do I get more information?
- Beijing Municipal Commission of Education website: http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/Study/Scholarships/
- For specific application means, you can consult the government departments and relevant institutions responsible for dispatching students abroad in your country, Chinese embassies or consulates;
- Directly apply to the universities qualified to issue such scholarship in Beijing.
- Free Scholarships – http://www.
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ undergraduate/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://
internationalscholarships.ca/ category/level-of-study/ graduate/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum – http://