- UNHCR provides, on a limited basis, scholarships for refugees at the tertiary level in universities and polytechnic institutions through the Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative Fund (DAFI). Funding for this programme is provided by the Federal Government of Germany.
- The purpose of the DAFI Programme is to contribute to the self-reliance of refugees by providing them with a professional qualification for future employment. Scholarships are granted only for studies in the country of asylum. Preferably, UNHCR would like to see the graduates return home and contribute to the reconstruction of their home country, or to the development of the country of asylum or the refugee community at large.
Fields of Study
What does the scholarship cover?
How many scholarships are given?
Which countries are targeted?
In 2006/2007, the following countries are participating in the DAFI programme:
- Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- India, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Syria, Thailand and Yemen.
In Central- and South America:
- Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Panama, and Uruguay.
In Eastern Europe:
- Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Georgia, Russian Federation, and Serbia & Montenegro.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
In order to be eligible, a candidate should:
- be a refugee with recognised refugee status;
- have successfully completed secondary schooling to a high standard in campbased
- refugee schools, or in national schools of the country of origin or asylum;
- have no other means of support for university studies;
- select a course of study that is likely to lead to employment in the country of origin;
- not be older than 28 years at the beginning of studies (An exemption could be applied to health and education courses of shorter duration provided to health staff and teachers with previous working experience or employment);
- select a choice of study course with maximum three to four years duration.
How to Apply – Next Steps
- If there is a current DAFI programme in your country of asylum and you meet the above-mentioned criteria, you should complete an application form (Application for Educational Assistance) to be submitted to UNHCR directly. Forms are available at UNHCR offices. All UNHCR offices will receive your application.
How do I get more information?